Using a Flux Coated Rod
Flux coated silver brazing rods require a operators to adopt a different brazing technique to brazing with a rod and a separate flux.
- First warm the components being brazed.
- Next transfer some flux to the joint opening from the end of the rod.
- To do this use the heat from the warmed component to melt it of the end of the flux coated rod.
- Withdraw the rod and heat the components evenly until the flux becomes clear and watery.
- Take care not to heat the flux directly with the flame before it has become molten.
- Apply the alloy to the joint opening. If it melts feed the alloy into the joint.
- Use the flame to draw the brazing alloy through the joint - it ewill flow towards the hottest part of the joint.
- If the braze alloy does not melt withdraw the rod and apply more heat
- After the joint is complete, cool slowly and then remove flux residues from the joint.